Polymer Processing - Polymer composites and nanocomposites - Polymers in medical applications
1991 – Diploma in Chemical Engineering, National Technical University of Athens
1996 – PhD in Chemical Engineering, National Technical University of Athens
Current Research Interests
- Preparation and study of polysiloxane nanocomposites for biomedical applications.
- Preparation and study of biodegradable polymer matrix nanocomposites for biomedical applications (tissue engineering, drug release systems).
- Study of the in-vitro release of model drugs from polymer matrix systems (tablets, films, coatings).
- Design and development of polymer matrix composites, suitable for dental applications.
- Surface modification of ultra-high modulus fibers, for use as reinforcement in polymer matrix composites.
- Preparation and characterization of polyolefin matrix biocomposites containing lignocellulosic waste as reinforcement.
- Recycling and reuse of plastic from wastes of electrical and electronic equipment (mechanical recycling, energy recovery).
- Study of the effect of ageing on the structure and properties of monolayer and multilayer polymeric packaging materials.
Selected Publications - Presentations:
- Vlachou M., Hani N., Efentakis M., Tarantili P.A. and Andreopoulos A.G. Polymers for use in controlled release systems: The effect of surfactants ïn their swelling properties. Journal of Âiomaterials Applications 2000; 15(1): 65-77
- Georgopoulos S.Th., Tarantili P.A., Avgerinos E., Andreopoulos A.G., Koukios E.G. Thermoplastic polymers reinforced with fibrous agricultural residues. Polymer Degradation and Stability 2005; 90(2):303-312
- Proikakis C.S., Tarantili P.A., Andreopoulos A.G. The role of polymer/drug interactions on the sustained release from poly(DL-lactic acid) tablets. European Polymer Journal 2006;42(12): 3269-3276
- Katsoulotos G., Pappa G., Tarantili P.A., Magoulas K. Preparation and characterization of functionalized low density polyethylene matrix biocomposites. Polymer Engineering and Science 2008; 48 (5): 902-911
- Tarantili P. and Koumoulos H. Sustained release of guaifenesin and ipriflavone from biodegradable coatings. European Polymer Journal 2008; 44(2): 444-452
- Tarantili P.A. and Kiose V. The effect of accelerated ageing on the structure and properties of mono- and multilayer packaging films. Journal of Applied Polymer Science 2008;109(1):674-682
- Karahaliou E.-K., Tarantilii P.A. Stability of ABS compounds subjected to repeated cycles of extrusion processing, Polymer Engineering and Science 2009, 49(11):2269-2275
- Tarantili P.A., Mitsakaki A.N and Petoussi M.A. “Processing and properties of engineering plastics recycled from waste electrical and electronic equipment (WEEE)” Polymer Degradation and Stability, 95:405-410, 2010.
- Stathi K., Tarantili P.A., Polyzois G. The effect of accelerated ageing on performance properties of addition type silicone biomaterials, Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Medicine,21(5): 1403-1411, 2010
- Vasilakos S., Tarantili P.A., The effect of photo-ageing on the physical properties of silicone/montmorillonite prosthetic nanocomposites. Journal of Applied Polymer Science 118(5): 2659-2667, 2010