Spatiotemporal addressing of catalytic activity and pattern formation
By closing the loop between surface imaging techniques, real-time image processing, and computer controlled actuation we developed a device where the catalytic activity can be modified in real time, with (μm) resolution in space. A computer guided laser beam focused on a catalytic surface alters the local activity by targeted heating. The powerful tool is utilized to explore the dynamics of heterogeneous catalytic reactions exhibiting spatiotemporal pattern formation i.e. rate oscillations and coherent concentration structures, like spirals, target patterns, or traveling fronts. Real-time monitoring of the product concentration enabled the study/ implementation of dynamic forcing protocols aiming to improve the average reactivity or selectivity.
This research project has been performed at the Department of Physical Chemistry of the Fritz-Haber-Institut derMax-Planck Gesellschaft in Berlin, in collaboration with Prof. Dr. Harm Hinrich Rotermund (currently at Dalhousie University) and Prof. Yannis Kevrekidis at the Chemical Engineering Department of Princeton University in the USA, under the supervision of Prof. Dr. G. Ertl, the 2007 winner of the Nobel prize in Chemistry.
- J. Wolff, A. G. Papathanasiou, H. H. Rotermund, G. Ertl, M. Katsoulakis, X. Li and I. G. Kevrekidis “Wave initiation through spatiotemporally controllable perturbations” Physical Review Letters, 90, 148301, 2003.[link]
- J. Wolff, A. G. Papathanasiou, H. H. Rotermund, G. Ertl, X. Li and I. G. Kevrekidis “Local manipulation of catalytic surface reactivity” Journal of Catalysis, 216, 246, 2003.[link]
- J. Wolff, A. G. Papathanasiou, H. H. Rotermund, G. Ertl, X. Li and I. G. Kevrekidis “Gentle dragging of reaction waves” Physical Review Letters, 90, 018302, 2003.[link]
- A. G. Papathanasiou, J. Wolff, I. G. Kevrekidis, H. H. Rotermund and G. Ertl “Some twists and turns in the path of improving surface activity” Chemical Physics Letters, 358, 407, 2002.[link]
- X. Li, I. G. Kevrekidis, M. Pollmann, A. G. Papathanasiou and H. H. Rotermund “Front initiation onmicrodesigned composite catalysts” Chaos, 12, 190, 2002.[link]
- J. Wolff, A. G. Papathanasiou, I. G. Kevrekidis, H. H. Rotermund and G. Ertl “Spatiotemporal addressing of surface activity” Science, 294, 134, 2001.[link]
“Pattern formation in addressable catalytic media: Experiments and scientific computation”
Marie Curie Individual Fellowship (category B30), 2000 – 2002.
Scientist in charge: H. H. Rotermund, Dept Phys. Chemistry/ Fritz-Haber-Institut der Max-Planck Gesellschaft, Berlin.
Research Fellow: A. G. Papathanasiou.